The effect of erythropoietin on ovarian epithelium edema during ischemia reperfusion injury in rats
Methods: 40 rats of mean weight 247.7 g were used totally. The OE lesions scores were evaluated at 60 min (groups A and C) and at 120 min (groups B and D) of reperfusion; after Epo administration in groups C and D.
Results: Epo administration non-significantly decreased the OE scores by 0.3 without lesions [-0.8356043 - 0.2356043] (p= 0.2803). Reperfusion time kept non-significantly increased the OE by 0.35 without lesions [-0.2356043 - 0.8356043] (p=0.2557). However, erythropoietin administration and reperfusion time together non-significantly decreased the OE scores by 0.1272727 without lesions [-0.4530022 - 0.1984567] (p=0.4339).
Conclusion: Epo administration showed a non-significant short-term recessing trend for OE scores without lesions alteration. Perhaps, a longer study time than 2 hours or a higher Epo dosage may reveal clearer and significant effects.
2. Τsompos C, Panoulis C, Τοutouzas K, Triantafyllou A, Ζografos G, Papalois A. The acute trend of erythropoietin on platelet count during hypoxia reoxygenation injury in rats. Medical Channel Karachi 2016; 22 (1): 7-13.
3. Tsompos C, Panoulis C, Toutouzas K, Zografos G, Papalois A. The acute effect of erythropoietin on mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration levels during hypoxia - reoxygenation injury in rats. J Med Soc 2016;30:79-83.
4. Τsompos C, Panoulis C, Τοutouzas K, Triantafyllou A, Ζografos G, Papalois A. The effect of erythropoietin on creatine kinase MB levels during hypoxia reoxygenation injury in rats. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2015; 1(5): 51-53
5. Τsompos C, Panoulis C, Τοutouzas K, Triantafyllou A, Ζografos G, Papalois A. The acute effect of erythropoietin on mean corpuscular volume levels during hypoxia-reoxygenation injury in rats. Journal of Cellular Biotechnology 2 (2016) 77–83.
6. Τsompos C, Panoulis C, Τοutouzas K, Triantafyllou A, Ζografos G, Papalois A. THE SHORT-TERM EFFECT OF ERYTHROPOIETIN ON HEMOGLOBIN DURING ISCHEMIA REPERFUSION INJURY IN RATS. Fiziologia 2013.23.3 (79): 26-32.
7. Τsompos C, Panoulis C, Τοutouzas K, Triantafyllou A, Ζografos G, Papalois A. The Acute Effect of Erythropoietin on Glucose Levels during Ischemia Reperfusion Injury. FMI 2016;52:14-18.
8. Osmanağaoğlu MA, Kesim M, Yuluğ E, Menteşe A, Karahan SC. Ovarian-protective effects of clotrimazole on ovarian ischemia/reperfusion injury in a rat ovarian-torsion model. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2012;74(2):125-30.
9. Ergenoglu M, Erbaş O, Akdemir A, Yeniel AÖ, Yildirim N, Oltulu F, Aktuğ H, Taskiran D. Attenuation of ischemia/reperfusion-induced ovarian damage in rats: does edaravone offer protection? Eur Surg Res. 2013;51(1-2):21-32.
10. Chuderland D, Ben-Ami I, Kaplan-Kraicer R, Grossman H, Ron-El R, Shalgi R. The role of pigment epithelium-derived factor in the pathophysiology and treatment of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in mice. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Feb;98(2):E258-66.
11. Kline RC, Bazzett-Matabele LB. Adnexal masses and malignancies of importance to the colorectal surgeon. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2010 Jun;23(2):63-71.
12. Seidman JD, Yemelyanova A, Zaino RJ, Kurman RJ. The fallopian tube-peritoneal junction: a potential site of carcinogenesis. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2011 Jan;30(1):4-11.
13. Cansu A, Erdogan D, Serdaroglu A, Take G, Coskun ZK, Gurgen SG. Histologic and morphologic effects of valproic acid and oxcarbazepine on rat uterine and ovarian cells. Epilepsia. 2010 Jan;51(1):98-107.
14. Hosfield EM, Rabban JT, Chen LM, Zaloudek CJ. Squamous metaplasia of the ovarian surface epithelium and subsurface fibrosis: distinctive pathologic findings in the ovaries and fallopian tubes of patients on peritoneal dialysis. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2008 Oct;27(4):465-74.
15. Lubo-Palma A, Nava-Leal C, Villasmil V, Quevedo AL, Montiel M, Simoes D, Faría C. Effects of cadmium on the ovarian parenchyma in Swiss albino mice. Invest Clin. 2006 Sep;47(3):219-31.
16. Khalbuss WE, Dipasquale B. Massive ovarian edema associated with ovarian serous cystadenoma: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006 Jan-Feb;16 Suppl 1:326-30.
17. Gordon AN, Granai CO, Rose PG, Hainsworth J, Lopez A, Weissman C, Rosales R, Sharpington T. Phase II study of liposomal doxorubicin in platinum- and paclitaxel-refractory epithelial ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2000 Sep;18(17):3093-100.
18. Young RH. Sertoli-Leydig cell tumors of the ovary: review with emphasis on historical aspects and unusual variants. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 1993 Apr;12(2):141-7.
19. Espey LL, Coons PJ, Marsh JM, LeMaire WJ. Effect of indomethacin on preovulatory changes in the ultrastructure of rabbit Graafian follicles. Endocrinology. 1981 Mar;108(3):1040-8.
20. Volkova OV, Alkadarskaia IM, Milovidova NS. Morphologic changes in the ovary during ovulation. Arkh Anat Gistol Embriol. 1980 Aug;79(8):5-18.
21. Motta P, Van Blerkom J. A scanning electron microscopic study of the luteo-follicular complex. II. Events leading to ovulation. Am J Anat. 1975 Jun;143(2):241-63.
22. Cherney DD, Didio LJ, Motta P. The development of rabbit ovarian follicles following copulation. Fertil Steril. 1975 Mar;26(3):257-70.
23. Mahmoodi M, Soleimani Mehranjani M, Shariatzadeh SM, Eimani H, Shahverdi A. Effects of erythropoietin on ischemia, follicular survival, and ovarian function in ovarian grafts. Reproduction. 2014 Apr 10;147(5):733-41.
24. Sayyah-Melli M, Rashidi MR, Kaseb-Ganeh M, Rashtchizadeh N, Taghavi S, Ouladsahebmadarek E, Ghojazadeh M. The effect of erythropoietin against oxidative damage associated with reperfusion following ovarian detorsion. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012 Jun;162(2):182-6.
25. Karaca M, Odabasoglu F, Kumtepe Y, Albayrak A, Cadirci E, Keles ON. Protective effects of erythropoietin on ischemia/reperfusion injury of rat ovary. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2009 Jun;144(2):157-62.
26. Suzuki H, Ishijima T, Maruyama S, Yanagimoto Ueta Y, Abe Y, Saitoh H. Beneficial effect of desialylated erythropoietin administration on the frozen-thawed canine ovarian xenotransplantation. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2008 Nov-Dec;25(11-12):571-5.
27. David RB, Blom AK, Sjaastad OV, Harbitz I. The porcine erythropoietin gene: cDNA sequence, genomic sequence and expression analyses in piglets. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2001 Feb;20(2):137-47.
28. Kristiansson B, Stibler H, Wide L. Gonadal function and glycoprotein hormones in the carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein (CDG) syndrome. Acta Paediatr. 1995 Jun;84(6):655-9.
29. Hyttinen JM, Peura T, Tolvanen M, Aalto J, Alhonen L, Sinervirta R, Halmekytö M, Myöhänen S, Jänne J. Generation of transgenic dairy cattle from transgene-analyzed and sexed embryos produced in vitro. Biotechnology (N Y). 1994 Jun;12(6):606-8.
30. Kamiński M. Processes of cell necrosis--apoptosis--and their modification by toxic substances. Med Pr. 1994;45(3):267-77.
Issue: Vol 2 No 3 (2016): RJPT
Section: Original Articles
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
A) Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
B) Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
C) Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
D) Author agree to submit Copyright form after accepetance of article.